The Bureau of Overseas Buildings Operations (OBO) directs the worldwide overseas building
program for the Department of State. Working with other offices and bureaus, foreign affairs
agencies, and Congress, OBO’s challenge is to set worldwide priorities for the design,
construction, acquisition, maintenance, use, and sale of real properties and the use of sales
The Department of State, Bureau of Overseas Buildings Operations, Directorate of Program
Development, Coordination, and Support (DOS/OBO/PDCS) is responsible for the design,
coordination, and management of OBO’s construction and renovation programs.
The Office of Project Development and Coordination (OBO/PDCS/PDC) provides project
management and project management support for projects from inception through completion.
The projects that will be supported by this requirement are in U.S. facilities worldwide.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Managing Data Analytics
- Makes recommendations on analytical, statistical, and programming techniques necessary to collect, organize, analyze, and interpret commonplace data sets.
- The work allows for the use and analysis of data and analytics for decision-making in the Department.
- Works and provides input on cross-functional teams, staffed by Civisl Service, Foreign Service direct hires and contractors, that include product owners, designers, developers, researchers to develop data-driven solutions that address business and user challenges.
- Uses statistical tools such as mathematics, statistics, performance measurement, and will assist the team or Senior Data Scientist with to advanced analytics such as artificial intelligence, machine learning and natural language processing for cloud computing and analyzing data sets.
- Codes with languages such as python or R and uses SQL and other data processing and analytics tools and software to analyze data
- sets and uses data visualization tools such as MS Power Bl, Tableau, MS Excel, ArcG
- IS, and others to generate reports and develop compelling stories that convey statistical or technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Uses analytical techniques to develop computational algorithms and statistical methods that find patterns and relationships in large volumes of data and from those patterns develops findings, inferences, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Translates the results of analysis into clear, actionable communications that equips the senior data scientist and Department decisions makers to make informed,datadriven decisions.
- Utilization and Support of Data Participates in discovery processes with business owner teams and stakeholders to dentify requirements, expected outcomes for new or existing initiatives, and the
- measurements of success.
- Works alongside other senior data scientists, data analysts, program analysts, and others to recommend technical and analytical solutions that meet requirements for decision-making.
- Interacts with internal customers and colleagues to understand business processes, gather requirements, and recommends analysis methodologies.
- Works with the team to identify data that are available and relevant, including internal and external data sources, leveraging existing data collection processes, and performing and participates as a team member on all phases of the systems
- development life cycle required in the design, development, and implementation of features enabling data access.
- Provides strategic and technical guidance and hands-on support in the transfer and transformation of any required data. Identifies, adapts, and manages changes to products or programs in response to evolving user needs.
- Recommends usage and access control policies and systems in collaboration with system security design staff and stakeholders in continuous improvement processes impacting data quality, performance enhancements, and overall user experience.
- Works with senior data scientists who directs internal and external process or system
- reviews, studies and data validation efforts which provide a means for evaluating
- system performance and vulnerabilities.
- Data Advisory and Technical Services
- Provides technical expertise, and support to Department and inter-agency
- interlocutors such as: information technology specialists, domestic and foreign
- service security engineers, human resources design specialist, business process
- designers, policymakers, civil and mechanical engineers, and many others to ensure
- maximum achievement of product and program objectives.
- Make recommendations regarding the implementation of existing technologies and
- techniques related to data science. Ensure compliance with security requirements
- specific to data.
- Advises senior leadership in interpreting and communicating insights from data.
- Makes recommendations in the modernization of existing services.
- Provides technical direction to junior analysts and reviews work for technical and
- methodological accuracy.
- Shares technical guidance and advising Contracting Officers about federal government’s requirements for data collection, data management, and advanced data analytics to include machine learning.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Experience and capabilities in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint,
- and advanced use of Excel) and Data Analysis and Manipulation tools such as Power BI, Tableau, Google Studio, R, Python, etc.
- Data Scientist / Technical Specialist VII – a bachelor’s degree and eleven (11)
- years of related experience.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing on highly complex, controversial, and
- time-sensitive matters to diverse audiences within all levels of the organization.
- Ability to deliver sensitive/difficult information tactfully.
- Client-success oriented mindset.
- Ability to execute and implement work in an Agile environment.
- Ability to think strategically, assess problems and solve them with a sense of urgency.
- Ability to motivate a team to work together in the most efficient manner.
- Ability to effectively analyze and extract insights from structured and unstructured
- data and apply solutions.
- Proficiency in handling imperfections in data.
- Level of comfort in participating as a change-agent role within the organization.
- Passion and curiosity for understanding business processes and systems for the
- associated team.
- Ability to develop a general working knowledge of the technical domain to
- effectively support technical risks that may arise.
- Knowledge of the concepts, principles, and practices of professional design and
- construction industries to identify, analyze, design, and provide advice on unusual or
- complex issues; modify existing techniques and/or develop new methods and
- approaches to solve complex problems; and provide expert advice on a wide range of
- Bureau initiatives.
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of related engineering fields such
- as civil, structural, mechanical, and electrical, sufficient to effectively interface and
- partner with fellow professionals engaged in related aspects of assigned initiatives.
- Knowledge and understanding of the mission, functions, and objectives of the
- Division, Office, Bureau, and Department and their interrelationships with one
- another to coordinate work efforts, ensure that work is performed successfully and in
- a cost-effective manner, and that work efforts are not duplicated.
|Job Category||Analyst, Engineering|