PLACE OF PERFORMANCE: Washington, DC (Telework subject to approval).
SCOPE: Design and conduct mixed-method research, with a specific focus on survey research and opinion polling, to inform policy formation and Public Diplomacy activity design; Provide design, review, and quality control services over REU and RPPR survey projects; and, Develop and deliver technical and professional support to field practitioners in the area of survey research
The ideal candidate would have the following qualifications:
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance at the Top-Secret Level
- A Master’s Degree or PhD in a social science discipline or related field (e.g., communications, public policy, psychology, etc.).
- Survey sampling experience – SRS, Clustered, Stratified, Purposeful, Network Scale-Up.
- Survey questionnaire design experience.
- Intermediate to advanced inferential statistics experience.
- Intermediate to Advanced experience with Statistical analysis software.
- One of the following: STATA, R, SPSS
- Data analysis and visualization experience.
- Data visualization for diverse stakeholders
- Cleaning and organizing large data sets.
- Technical writing experience.
- Qualitative coding and content analysis experience.
- Ability to efficiently lead team projects.
- Skill in oral and written communications (English) to interface with individuals at all levels, both within and outside the government; develop, negotiate, and defend recommendations; present briefing on sensitive and controversial subjects; and provide guidance and instructions.
- Comprehensive knowledge of a wide range of qualitative and quantitative state-of-the-art analytical and evaluation methods and techniques and a demonstrated track record of a continuously growing skill set.
- Skill in strategic and operational planning, organizing, directing, and conducting complex studies and projects.
- Advanced experience in Microsoft Excel.
- Intermediate experience with data visualization software such as Tableau, Power BI, Salesforce Einstein Analytics.
- Intermediate experience with qualitative analysis software such as NVivo, Atlas.ti, Quirkos, Dedoose is preferred but not required.
- Advanced experience with survey software experience such as Qualtrics or SurveyMonkey.
- Commitment to a culture of learning, curiosity, and open debate.
- A self-starter who is action-oriented and results focused.
- A professional who is highly organized, detail oriented, and self-motivated.
- The ability to remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations.
- The ability to recognize challenging issues and solve problems proactively.
- · Ability to inform partners about the benefits of research and analytics.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design, staff, and lead an internal research technical review panel to review and clear in-house and contracted research proposals.
- Design and conducted mixed-method social science research projects, including:
- Research surveys (experimental / non-experimental)
- Public opinion polling
- Bespoke quantitative and qualitative research using existing and new data sources to inform policy formation and PD tactics.
- Design rigorous sampling plans for both quantitative and qualitative data collection.
- Design survey questionnaires and interview protocols
- Provide oversight and quality assurance for research field work and data collection.
- Conduct background research, literature reviews, and desk reviews.
- Develop research-related guidance and support material for field teams.
- Design, issue, and monitor contracts for international research projects with third party research firms.
- Work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders to integrate research findings into business processes and organizational routines.
COMMUNICATION SKILLS: These positions may require handling confidential information in an appropriate manner. Customer interactions must be handled with diplomacy and tact. Individual must be able to gauge the customer’s technical ability and communicate with them in appropriate technical or non-technical language in a non-condescending manner.
DECISION MAKING/JUDGEMENT: This position involves projects and/or assignments requiring considerable decision-making authority regarding procedures, plans, and schedules. Although there are sometimes problem-solving guidelines for problems, there are no existing procedures or instructions for those problems. Ability to work independently or in a team setting is necessary.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Needs the ability to use a keyboard to enter and retrieve data.
- Must have good eyesight to view computer monitor and phone.
- Must be able to lift 5-20 pounds.
- Remaining in a stationary position, often standing, or sitting for prolonged periods.
- Moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another.
- Local travel and possibly CONUS/OCONUS travel may be required.