Place of Performance: Arlington, VA (Telework Subject to Approval)
SCOPE: The Bureau of Overseas Buildings Operations (OBO) directs the worldwide overseas building program for the Department of State. Working with other offices and bureaus, foreign affairs agencies, and Congress, OBO’s challenge is to set worldwide priorities for the design, construction, acquisition, maintenance, use, and sale of real properties and the use of sales proceeds. OBO’s mission is to provide safe, secure, functional, and resilient facilities that represent the U.S. government to the host nation and support the Department’s achievement of U.S. foreign policy objectives abroad. These facilities represent American values and the best in American architecture, design, engineering, technology, sustainability, art, culture, and construction execution
The Engineer shall meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must posses an Active Secret Clearance
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
- Nine (9) years of related experience in Civil, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- In-depth knowledge, understanding, and ability to interpret drawings in his/her discipline and have a basic understanding of the principals of his/her engineering discipline and how it fits in with other engineering disciplines.
- Ability to review shop drawings and submittals from the contractor and determine if coordination with other disciplines is necessary in addition to monitoring on-going construction work to identify problems or non-compliance with design or contract specifications.
- Work on the construction site will be performed to U.S. standards; the incumbent will require current working knowledge of acceptable products and procedures.
- Ability to read design/construction drawings and be able to understand design narratives and calculations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures that the contractor is performing the required contract work in accordance with the contract and Design Issued for Construction documents.
- Reviews engineering shop drawings and determines if the contractor has complied with the final design parameters.
- Observes onsite construction and determine if construction elements are being installed, formed, and executed properly. Reviews concrete mix design, witness testing, and analyze test data.
- Responsible for performing quality assurance tasks, ensuring contractor’s work is properly inspected and corrective actions take place, ensuring materials meet contract, reviewing contractor submittals for compliance with contract requirements, and resolving conflicts.
- Monitors the construction contractor’s quality assurance and safety program.
- Observes onsite construction and determine if construction elements are being installed, formed, and executed properly.
- Monitors construction progress vis-à-vis the project schedule and submit weekly progress reports with recommendations based on the technical review of project documents and field inspections.
- Performs technical inspections of the project.
- Prepares construction reports detailing construction progress and identifies any problem with the construction process related to the incumbent’s area of expertise. After problems are discovered, evaluate contractor’s proposed remedy. Formulate solutions for the Project Director/Construction Manager.
- Reviews shop drawings and submittals from the contractor and determines if coordination with other disciplines is necessary in addition to monitoring on-going construction work to identify problems or non-compliance with design or contract specifications.
- Reviews design documents (drawings and specifications) that the A/E prepares as well as perform quality assurance for the construction project in his/her technical area of expertise.
DECISION MAKING/JUDGEMENT: This position involves projects and/or assignments requiring considerable decision-making authority regarding procedures, processes, plans, and schedules. Ability to work independently or in a team setting is necessary.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Needs ability to use a keyboard to enter and retrieve data. .
- Must be able to lift 5-20 pounds.
- Remaining in a stationary position, often standing, or sitting for prolonged periods.
- Moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another.
- Local travel may be required.